Saturday, May 3, 2008

Trip to Houston, TX




A few weekends ago, our family took a little trip to Houston, TX. It was Will's first trip on an airplane, and our first "vacation" since our honeymoon! Will did awesome on the flight. He LOVED looking out the window. He also loved the air vent blowing on him. He constantly had his tongue sticking out like a little puppy. Ever since the plane, in fact, whenever Will feels a breeze, he instantly sticks out his tongue!
Jordan and I have never been to TX before, so it was an interesting experience for us, too. Jordan had an interview with PULSE, an affliate with Discover. He had to interview with his whole line of command, all the way up to the CEO! He did very well, and actually accepted the job. He starts June 16th. We have up to a year to sell our house. I told Jordan I would be supportive of moving...on June 16th, 2009!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE living in WI. Houston is a total scorcher. I would much rather have a blizzard than deal with constant humidity. Everyone says it'll be fun and an adventure, so I might as well suck it up because I am forced to go. Jordan is really looking forward to his new job, though.
We had a fun time downtown Houston. They have a cool restaurant/entertainment area called The Aquarium that we'll take anyone who wants to visit us there. The city is very rich...complete opposite of Milwaukee. Everyone wants to live in the city or as close to it as possible. There is not an urban spraul. Will and I went walking all around downtown while Jordan interviewed. The people there are super nice. They are so friendly and talkative.
The suburbs are so different then here. Every house is fenced in, and a friend of mine said really it is to fence out the bugs that could get in your house. The yards are tiny and the houses are SMACK on top of each other. However, the houses are a ton cheaper there. We'll actually be able to save for Will's mission/college fund! I just hope I can find a house I love half as much as I love our current house!
On the sad side (yep...the violins are playing for me), I had a sore thoat the day for two days before we left, but tested negative for strep, so we decided to continue with our trip. While there, I had NO voice, and developed a severe sinus infection, double ear infection, double pink eye, endless coughing and occasional vomitting. I barely could sleep with all of my coughing, and of course I had no medication with me nor did I really know what I could take since I am still nursing Will. I had a blast. It took about 3.5 weeks to shake it off...hence the lack of posting. Will also developed all of the same symptons the day we got home. Poor Jordan: the lone man left standing. He had to take care of us the whole time.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad you will be leaving...but on the brightest side of all, since my sister lives in Houston, it will be great to visit! Give me a call if you want to talk to her at all about the Houston area. She is currently in process of looking for a house and can give you some tips on great neighborhoods! Miss you all and hope everyone is feeling better!

Jenny said...

you are moving!! we had an option of moving to Houston for Sam's job...if you were already there maybe we would have gone! Good luck with getting ready. Our Will only has two teeth--go Will Schaefer!

lockmat said...

Hope the move to Houston works out for you. Every part of town is different, so go exploring!